Caring for someone else mean many wonderful moments, but it can also result in physical, emotional and mental strain. Consider these ways of ensuring that you are caring for yourself in the care of someone else.
Your Physical Health
- I am exercising regularly/I am keeping active.
- I am eating well
- I am getting enough sleep.
- I am not overusing drugs or alcohol.
- I am seeing my doctor as needed.
- I am managing my medications.
Your Mental Health
- I am doing activities that I enjoy.
- I am seeing friends and family regularly.
- I have one or more persons that I can speak to about any challenges.
- I am participating in caregiving support groups.
- I am doing/watching things that make me happy.
- I am participating in my faith and my religious community.
- I believe in the importance of what I am doing.
Your Caregiving Health
- I am accessing support services in my area.
- I am keeping abreast of information about caregiving and available supports.
- I understand my relative’s health and prognosis
- I understand how I can best provide support.
- I have communicated with others how they can help provide caregiving support.
- I understand my relative’s and my own financial and legal situation.